Invitation to the Unity Conference at Belfast City Hall
We would like to invite you to a special event to celebrate the Unity Project, which has been running in eight post-primary schools over the last year!
The event will have three important parts:
- A certificate presentation from the Lord Mayor of Belfast to each school to mark their participation in this project.
- A Round Table Activity, where everyone will have the chance to listen to and ask questions of three invited speakers:
- Somebody from the Rainbow Project
- Somebody who will talk about life in another country/ culture
- Somebody who is an asylum seeker or a refugee
During this activity you will have chance to listen to a part of their story and ask any questions that you might have.
- An interactive musical celebration co-ordinated by Beyond Skin (http://www.beyondskin.net/)
We would love it if you could attend! Please RSVP to CRIS by email or by phone.
Do not hesitate to get in touch with CRIS if you have any questions!
Overview of the Unity Project
CRIS’s Unity Project is a proven, highly effective programme that supports young people to explore and achieve their potential as ‘upstanders’ and to influence positive shifts in culture through the safe challenging of degrading and derogatory language and behaviour. It addresses the difference between the intention behind and impact of the routine use of ‘hate speak’. It supports peer leaders to investigate their own roles in challenging bullying language and behaviour with a focus on homophobia, sectarianism, racism, body image and disability. Using ‘real language’, this hard-hitting programme has been delivered in eight Belfast post-primary schools.
The Northern Ireland Unity Project was developed in partnership by the Center for Preventing Hate (Maine, USA) and CRIS.
The Unity Project 2016 – 2017 has been funded and supported by Belfast City Council (Good Relations). The staff training aspect was funded by the Community Relations Council through the Community Relations and Cultural Diversity Grants Programme and through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade through its Strategic Partner Programme.
NVTV made a short piece about the Unity Project as part of their Focal Point Series. It was shown on Friday 18th November and can be viewed here: