A review of Hate crime is underway and is being conducted by an Independent review group
The terms of reference :
- Determine if existing hate crime legislation represents the most effective approach for the justice system to deal with criminal conduct motivated by hatred, malice, ill-will or prejudice.
- A workable and agreed definition of what is a hate crime;
- Determine if the current enhanced sentence approach in Northern Ireland is appropriate;
- Review and if necessary expand the current protected categories of Hate Crime;
- Examine and review the current legislative framework for incitement offences;
- Identify any gaps, anomalies and inconsistencies in the current legal framework and recommend improvements to guarantee everyone’s human rights are protected ;
- Examine the potential for alternative or mutually supportive restorative approaches for dealing with hate motivated offending.
- The review will go out for consultation in January 2020
For further information go to www.hatecrimereviewni.org.uk